Catriona Gatrell has been with the legal team at North Yorkshire County Council for over ten years and has over 22 years’ experience in public sector legal services.
Some key highlights of Catriona’s experience:
- Catriona started her career with Stockton on Tees Borough Council, a District, which then became a unitary authority. During her time at Stockton on Tees she had the opportunity to be involved in the town centre redevelopment projects for Stockton and Thornaby, regeneration of the North Bank (a former industrial area for housing and leisure) and negotiating on the development agreement for the expansion of Durham and Tees Valley Airport.
- Whilst at North Yorkshire County Council Catriona has led the Corporate Services Team which provides advice on planning, highways, commercial contracts and procurement, State Aid and property for in-house and external clients.
- Catriona and her team have a strong reputation in relation to the delivery of major projects, recent examples being:
- Allerton Park Waste Project which has an overall commercial value exceeding £1bn – this involved securing planning permission for a highly controversial energy from waste plant; successfully defending a JR challenge to the planning permission in the CA; robustly defending a State Aid complaint which resulted in no investigation by the EC and ensuring that commercial close on the contract was achieved without challenge.
- Bedale Bypass major highway infrastructure £40m – this involved achieving a confirmed CPO through a successful Inquiry combined with a procurement process to ensure the commercial contracts were in place within the tight timescale dictated by Government.
- Catriona advised on the installation of a controversial temporary footbridge in Tadcaster, the centre of recent flooding which gained the personal attention of the Prime Minister.
- Catriona is an engaging and knowledgeable Lawyer who quickly identifies the practical implications of complex cases. She has an established reputation for first class client care, with a pragmatic and tactical approach. She has an astute approach to manging legal risk and client expectations.