Senior Solicitor (Governance)
Since completing her practical training in private practice, Moira Beighton has gained over 20 years’ local government experience working for North Yorkshire County Council across a wide range of legal disciplines such as civil and criminal litigation (including child care law, fire safety prosecutions), procurement, contracts and partnerships (including Private Finance Initiative work and project co-ordination), information governance and security and, for over 17 years, local government and constitutional law, along with corporate and ethical governance. She moved to her current role as Senior Governance Lawyer in 2011.
Some key highlights of Moira’s experience:
- Working with senior officers and Members to implement the new political structures, executive arrangements, ethical framework and Constitution under the Local Government Act 2000 and maintaining, reviewing and developing such frameworks and documentation since that time, in accordance with successor legislation, including support to the County Council’s Monitoring Officer and Standards Committee.
- Providing advice, guidance and training to Members and Officers on all aspects of local government law, vires, access to information and complex corporate, information and ethical governance issues (including registration and declaration of interests, gifts and hospitality).
- The production and publication of the Council’s Standards Bulletin, informing Members and Officers of key developments in the standards regime, which is in demand by, and circulated to, other authorities.
- The handling of challenging and potentially confrontational standards complaints against Members.
- Managing the increased workload and burdens placed by highly active persistent and vexatious complainants and associates, including linked information governance requests and the handling of successful cases ultimately considered by the Information Commissioner and First Tier Tribunal.
- The drafting, implementation and review of the Council’s Anti-Money Laundering Policy.
- Assisting with local government elections and Member induction.